Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
 Post subject: Helpful Hints, Tips, and Tricks (My Opinion)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:26 am 
I will be posting here my personal opinions on things concerning the Ruckus as well as any helpful items I can think of.

1. SHIPPING AN ENGINE
To properly ship a Ruckus engine I recommend to remove the swingarm and the carb at the very least first of all. This is done because with the swingarm installed it is entirely too much of a pain to box it and ship it correctly without worrying about it moving and getting damaged. I NEVER ship swingarm in the same boxes as a motor. The swingarm is shipped separately in its own box and it actually is cheaper that way sometimes as well.
Get a 14" x 14" x 14" box, tape the bottom of the box across the whole bottom first. Turn the box over and use some old boxes to cut up at least 12ea - 12" x 12" squares of cardboard, they dont have to be perfect but decently close. Take 3 of them and line the bottom of the box. Place the engine inside the box with the head pointing straight up to the top of the box, this can be done with or without the dipstick installed. Use 2 squares per side of the box from there to fill the sides some before you start using the bulk filler. Start filling in the voids of whats left with newspaper crumpled up and pack it in there pretty tight (you don't want the motor moving around any) you can alos use bubble wrap or anything else like foam, etc but I would suggest against peanuts because you can't pack them in there tight enough where the engine won't move and crush them, then get loose and move in the box more and more as its handled. Newspaper/bubble wrap is usually best. Once you are done filling up to the top of the cylinder head cover place the last remaining cardboard square that is left over the top and close the box, taping up across the entire top of it. Once you are done you should be able to lift the box and shake it as hard as you can without hearing anything move. It should almost feel like the box is solid with nothing inside. That is how I do it and you can drop it from a pretty decent distance without damage to the engine inside. Better safe than sorry especially when shipping an engine.

2. ENGINE POWER vs. TOP SPEED (MPH)
I see this come up more often than not on the boards as well as many people PM'ing me about it with a Big Bore engine. I believe alot of people confuse the two with each other unintentionally. Here is a pretty basic idea about the difference in the two as well as some ways to improve the performance of both.

ENGINE POWER - This definition is basically what it sounds like, the amount of output (Horsepower and Torque) the engine can produce. So with that being said any upgrades done specifically to the Ruckus engine will have nothing to do with your overall Top Speed......to an extent. This is where it can get confusing to some people.
Example 1. A 120lb rider on a bone stock Ruckus vs A 200lb rider on the same bone stock Ruckus - the 120lb rider may be able to get 43mph top speed until the rev limiter is hit and the Ruckus is topped out in stock form, where the 200lb rider may only be able to get the bike up to lets say 40mph no matter what the distance traveled and assuming a flat surface and no wind or downhill slope to aid either rider, just purely the engine propelling the bike and rider. So the 200lb rider cannot go faster than 40mph because the stock engine doesnt have enough POWER to get to the rev limiter and get the guy up to the same 43mph as the lighter 120lb rider. So then engine only upgrades are added to the otherwise stock Ruckus, any of these items or all of them(Big Bore, exhaust, carb kit, camshaft, lightened flywheel)[not a CDI which is not an engine mod]. Now once the items are installed and tuned properly the engine (depending on the upgrades used) will have enough POWER to get the 200lb rider to 43mph and hitting the rev limiter with no downhill slope or wind against the back of the rider. Another place people get confused is that they will think the 120lb rider will now be going faster as well, this is not entirely true, being that this is an otherwise stock Ruckus with only engine upgrades then the only thing that the lighter 120lb rider would gain from the increased POWER would be that he would get to the 43mph top speed faster than previously before the engine upgrades. His top speed would stay the same because the stock rev limiter prevents going any faster. This ends at the conclusion to the fact that increasing ENGINE POWER alone will not affect overal top speed(mph) unless the rider cannot achieve hitting the rev limiter on the stock engines power alone, after that any more power the engine produces will mainly get the bike to its top speed faster(less time). End Example 1.

TOP SPEED - This has to do with the overall fastest MPH the Ruckus can achieve, pretty simple for the most part. Factors that are involved here are the variator, gear set, and the CDI(Electrical).
Example #2 We will start off with the same comparison as above, A 120lb rider on a bone stock Ruckus vs A 200lb rider on the same bone stock Ruckus, except this time lets assume that they are both able to achieve the same top speed of 43mph and hit the rev limiter with the stock engines power. So now they are wanting to increase their TOP SPEED(MPH). This can be done by the following methods or all of them (variator, gear set, CDI) for now lets leave the CDI out of there as an option. So they add an aftermarket variator as well as an aftermarket gear set (lets say the kitaco for this example). Once installed (with the stock rollers in the variator for now) the 120lb rider can now get up to lets say 49mph AND hit the rev limiter(it may take a very long stretch to accomplish but he does do it), the 200lb rider can only get to 44mph no matter the distance traveled. In this case for the 200lb rider the bike COULD go as fast as with the 120lb rider but the engine just doesn't have enough POWER to pull the taller gearing that the variator and the gear set produced. In order to get more top speed the 200lb rider would need to do some engine upgrades to take advantage of the aftermarket variator and gear set. I did not used an aftermarket CDI for this test because the stock ECU is a great tool to compare gains because when you are hitting the rev limiter the Ruckus cannot go any faster. So before drivetrain mods if it hit 43 at the limiter, then after if it hits anything higher than that at the rev limiter then you can see exactly what you gained with the drivetrain mods you added. End Example #2
In conclusion the only way to gain MPH is from the drivetrain or by increasing the Rev Limiter by installing a CDI. You can also only go as fast as the Power Output of the stock engine will let you as well. I summarized alot of steps here to get mostly to the point so there are other steps that may need to be done in between these upgrades.
To anyone upgrading, don't be discouraged by the small gains you achieve at first, you may have to tune and play with other things and you will gain more with a little more time spent on the small details. The BEST thing to always do if possible (well almost always) is to add one upgrade at a time so if you do actually get slower or lose performance from an upgrade you can easily pinpoint what it was that caused you to lose that performance.

Any comments on this or if I wrote something incorrectly please feel free to comment. It was a long write so I may not have transferred everything correctly from the brain to the keyboard. :D

More to come.....

http://www.jcracingonline.com

My Ride

Last edited by jc250r31 on Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
 Post subject: Re: Helpful Hints, Tips, and Tricks (My Opinion)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:27 am 
Space for extra info

My Ride

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

The way it should be
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:27 am 
Space for extra info

My Ride

2010 King of HATE
2010 King of HATE

The way it should be
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:29 pm 
that's a lot of space for extra info here. lol

'10 Elite 110 $3k
'98 Superhawk $3k w/extras
'74 CB550 $2k
Replace w/ GROM + Either cb1100 OR cb1000r
MANdown
http://www.totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewt ... &start=180

Patron Saint of TR
Patron Saint of TR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:30 pm 
More space for extra info. :wink:

TT-350z wrote:
thats like me rocking ssbc stickers without meeting stimpy :twisted:

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

The way it should be
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:36 pm 
LOL ok wiseguys. I have been too darn busy to add anything. Maybe one day I will have the time.
What needs to happen is I need to copy and paste some of the info i have posted during my entire time at TR and consolidate it here in this thread for quick reference.

My Ride

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:35 am 
Well in that case....

More Space for Extra Info :P

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:47 am 
Cheers for all the advice, I'll be back for more :D

Bishop's Mods

My other ride has tits!!!

TR's Mad Scientist!
TR's Mad Scientist!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:11 am 
Man, I can't believe I haven't been doing this.

:wasted: :wasted: :wasted: :wasted: :wasted:

Humanimal

Patron Saint of TR
Patron Saint of TR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:17 am 
All of these hints, tips, and tricks posted will increase your engine horsepower and top speed!!! :lol:

TT-350z wrote:
thats like me rocking ssbc stickers without meeting stimpy :twisted:

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

The way it should be
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:54 pm 
Ok :oops: I just haven't had time. Which I am sure some of you may have noticed that my posting has went down a bit. No excuse cuts it so I am not making any. :|

My Ride

One of Us
One of Us

The way it should be
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:43 am 
Todays tip of the day ROCKS!!!!!! :banger:

Bishop's Mods

My other ride has tits!!!

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:21 am 
I'd like to add a tip,

Not all ruckus' are built the same, you could go to a dealer and buy 2 new models at the same time, take them home and treat them the exact same and one of them could be alot more potent than the other. I've seen stock rucks with 300lb riders that top 45-47mph and I've seen stockers that with 150lb riders that could only top 40ish. It's weird but then again with an engine this small every little variance makes a difference. So the next time some noob who has been on here for a whopping 2 months decides to say that I'm lying about performance results...I'll just forward them to this statement.

One of Us
One of Us

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:17 pm 
Kamikaze wrote:
I'd like to add a tip,

Not all ruckus' are built the same, you could go to a dealer and buy 2 new models at the same time, take them home and treat them the exact same and one of them could be alot more potent than the other. I've seen stock rucks with 300lb riders that top 45-47mph and I've seen stockers that with 150lb riders that could only top 40ish. It's weird but then again with an engine this small every little variance makes a difference. So the next time some noob who has been on here for a whopping 2 months decides to say that I'm lying about performance results...I'll just forward them to this statement.

kind of an old thread but this ^^ is so true

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

The way it should be
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:43 am 
There's Number 1

My Ride