Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
 Post subject: Flywheel Information Thread from the Beginning
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:47 pm 
Has anyone tried lightening the flywheel yet? Results? I havent found where anyone actually did it with the results by searching.

**UPDATE 6/15/2009**I recommend anyone interested to read the entire thread.

Please click the below link for pricing options and other information
http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=31883

Please PM me for any questions.

Here is a very brief process that is being done in case anyone is interested in knowing.
First, the flywheel is machined to my specs. I have done way too many flywheels other than just the Ruckus; I know how much can safely be removed to increase performance and not decrease reliability or worst yet, result in a flywheel failure due to trying to remove too much material.
Secondly, the flywheel is blasted with medium glass beads to accomplish 2 things, 1)To remove all rust and corrosion 2)To close the pores of the metal after machining to help prevent rust.
Thirdly, an Anti-rust preventative is applied to the flywheel and allowed to dry leaving an invisible film.

If for some reason you wanted your flywheel lightened and not have me do steps 2 and 3 just let me know as it will be cheaper. I do not like to let ugly/rusty things leave the shop but if you must to save a buck I will oblige you.

Here is a pic of the way most flywheels look when I receive them, if not worse.

And after the lightening 3 step process.

Last edited by jc250r31 on Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:53 pm 
A lightened flywheel is good to help a bit with acceleration because the motor revs faster.... This can help a bit when you go through several gears to get up to speed. The ruckus does not shift because of the CVT so the motor has to rev once from a complete stop to full speed which means not much gain from the lighter flywheel.

Think of it like this....... If a lightened flywheel reduces your 2k - 10k rev time by a quarter of a second; then you will gain a quarter of a second every time you shift a gear to get to speed. So a bike that goes through four gears to hit top speed will save a full second to top speed (4 x .25 seconds) But our scooter will only save a quarter of a second because you never have to shift, and rev the motor more than once.

Replacing the CV carb will do much more than a lightened flywheel will ever do to help your acceleration.

The worst thing to worry about with a lightened flywheel is that at low rpms, the motor will not run smooth at all because it needs the stored energy in the flywheel to keep the motor moving through the 3 out of 4 strokes that produce no power.

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:11 am 
We have been lightening flywheel on the Honda CRF50's and 70's for a while now on the stock engines as well as the big bores. For those that dont know they are a 3 speed auto-clutch. They dont idle rough or run rougher than they did stock but they do accelerate faster noticeably. I realize that the Ruckus is "shiftless" but you are still gaining some acceleration as well as lightening some load from the motor via rotating mass.

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:43 pm 
It will work, but I still think I would do it only after doing some other basic mods to get things going quicker. Sounds like you have machined them down before so obviously you know how it works. Just make sure the balance is spot on because the ruckus crank bearings are not indestructable.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:08 pm 
jc250r31 wrote:
We have been lightening flywheel on the Honda CRF50's and 70's for a while now on the stock engines as well as the big bores. For those that dont know they are a 3 speed auto-clutch. They dont idle rough or run rougher than they did stock but they do accelerate faster noticeably. I realize that the Ruckus is "shiftless" but you are still gaining some acceleration as well as lightening some load from the motor via rotating mass.

:D Wow! great!, someone with the knowhow and the facilities to do it, please do some and let us know how it goes :D I would buy one if it can accel better than stock and do not send the idle to the dogs

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:42 pm 
chanito wrote:
I would buy one if it can accel better than stock and do not send the idle to the dogs

M3 Thr33!!!!

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:43 pm 
but, doesn't the crf/xr 50 motor turn more gears, and a whole other shaft?

n00bie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:30 pm 
nvm....im dumb

Last edited by nhoj on Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

The way it should be
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:16 am 
I will be getting it done before long, I might end up buying Sanjuro's '05 motor and using it to lighten. That way I will have a spare already lightened for those that want one. So there wont be any down time. I will post some results or something soon when I get a chance to get it done.

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:56 am 
Hell yea...Keep us updated; you might be able to make a lil money!

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

The way it should be
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:23 am 
Will be staying updated.... Sanjuro's motor will be on the way soon and the disassembly begins.

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

The way it should be
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:23 pm 
Got the motor today....flywheel is off and will be getting lightened tomorrow.

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

The way it should be
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:31 pm 
Installed the Lightened flywheel today. It idles fine, didn't miss a lick, and I did not readjust it. Total weight removed was about 4 ounces.

Keep in mind that I do not have a Veypor (wish I did) so I can only give you my best shot during my testing this afternoon.
From dead stop to 30 mph it gained Half a Second. I ran it 10 times after warming it up. It took 18 minutes to change the flywheel. Went back to the same conditions as before and after running it 10 times I came to the above conclusion.

Now for the real world situation testing we went terrorize the neighborhoods for about an hour. You can tell sitting still that it revs quicker. When exiting a turn that you had to back off the throttle for and get back on it again you notice it takes less time to spool up and take off.

All in all I think it was worth it and I have a few to lighten for some guys around here.

Every little thing helps, and adds up in the end.

Next week.....Big Bore install.....

Admin
Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:05 pm 
It's awesome to see someone new to the ruckus scene, although not new to modding vehicles, take the bull by the horns.

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:02 am 
glad to hear it worked out for you! If you are selling, please let me know the price!

Mike

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next